Saturday, May 2, 2009

Social Web

The social web I decided to participate in is called TheTeachersCorner.net. I looked through various sites and choose this one because of a discussion that caught my attention. “How much talking is too much talking? ” I found the comments both interesting and helpful. As a student teacher I was mostly in one class, with the occasional observation outside of that class. I often wonder how much the students chat while they are in other classes. I also wonder if I have been too hard on them. It is hard to tell what is alright once in awhile, and what should be allowed. One comment I really like was: “I personally judged the amount of chatter I put up with by the amount of chatter we as teachers generate in a meeting.” I think that is completely fair to hold students to the same standards that we hold ourselves. It personally drives me crazy when teachers talk during staff meetings. How can you expect your students to listen to you when you won’t listen to your colleagues?

Another discussion that really helped me was “
The Perfect Classroom”. The teacher making the post felt like they could never keep up with all the paperwork. The post was really great to read because I often felt the same way. One response that really put my mind at ease was someone talking about how the first few years it will be that way. With time you will have more lesson plans under your belt and things will come to you faster. They also pointed out how the summer is a wonderful time to reflect, and that you don’t have to get it all the first time.

Overall it was nice to be able to read other teachers comments. It is just nice to have a different perspective on things. I like this website and will continue to use it in the future. I would also like to check out some of the other ones out there.

No comments: