Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Internet Resources

The internet is a wonderful wealth of information, especially for a new teacher in a physical science class whose major was environmental science. Over the past year I used the internet countless times to brush up on topics and help come up with lesson plans that were current and exciting.

One of the most useful sites, for me, was the
NASA website. I taught a six week astronomy unit, and I haven’t had astronomy since high school. I was on this website almost daily looking up current events and finding answers to student’s questions. This site could be used by teachers in multiple subjects for history, current events, and even math.

Another wonderful resource is
School for Champions. This site answers multiple questions about science in easy to understand ways. It is a great way to refresh all that information in your brain that has not been used for awhile. I also found it useful to read before a new lesson because many of the questions my students asked were the same questions on the site.

A third resource you may want to look at is
Digital Bits Science Lab . This website has a vast amount of experiments that are easy and fun. I used them throughout the year. It is a great place to look at when you are stuck and need a simple experiment for time filler, or a whole lab.

No comments: